Followers

Friday 27 April 2012

An Old Report Card

The memory box of life is not so often visited. Once a while, yes, in search of one thing or the other; mine was my bank details. In 2008, I came to Ghana for a visit and decided it would be a good idea to open a savings account. I started laying down the foundation for a possible repatriation in the future. The plan was simple; send some money every month to be credited to my savings account.

In reality that never flourished and the account laid dormant for a while, un be known to me, that meant the account was permanently closed by the bank. To get my money back, what little I put in there in the first place, after returning in 2012, I had to produce a letter or any such documentation, to prove I am indeed the owner of the said account and funds; not even a driving license would get me through as a form of identification. I got frustrated and the banker explained in not so many words, that to safe guard the funds and stop corrupt activities by his fellow work colleges on the account of past experience, the bank decided to adopt such a policy. Knowing Ghana and the greed of some people I couldn't argue with such explanation, even-though  I was still left in a frustrating situation.

I went back to my mum, who I left as a custodian of my documents; honestly, between her, my sister and myself, we are still looking for where the documents could be. This became my reason for going into my memory box.

Out came my old report card, really bad grades and to top it off, the teacher signed under with a little note which, stated, " A very troublesome boy, likes playing football". Back to the future I have got my master degree an MSc in construction project management, with very good grades.

So why was I, so unfocused in my young youth, truthfully it was partly because the teachers could not keep me attentive long enough and with that I would lose my concentration and look for other ways of entertaining my self. I was hyper and very energetic. This meant, I needed stimulation in ways very different to that of the average student, and with that these teachers from my past failed.

Fortune on my side, I was still able to go ahead and find ways of concentrating and methods of learning, that suited my energetic and stimulus mind. In the working world, I am just as good and best with thinking on my feet, a good social skill and a likable character.

The question remains, are we all the same, in the way we learn and the way we are able to maintain our concentration? if the answer is no, why then is there no tailored teaching techniques developed to suit each groups of students, in other for them to fulfill their full potential.

Please add your view to the subject of discussion. Tell us how you were at school, what kind of student and what has become of you, not in so much detail only if you so choose to. The idea here is to bring awareness and motivation to today's student, from the very young to the young adult and give them the hope and support to fulfill their full potential.

Should you need any confidential support email dey-help@gmail.com and we will get back to you

NB: Still searching for the bank details, seriously I want my money back Mr. Banker

By: Kodjo Deynoo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis